Join a team that helps insurance transform their processes for the better.
The Data Scientist is responsible for complex programming, analytics, and
recommendations for our insurance industry clients.
This role is in an insurtech startup; be prepared to roll up your sleeves, dive in, and
solve problems that make a big impact to our clients.
Among your responsibilities, you will help us in exploring the use of external data sets in new ways and model how they can be applied to improve insurance processes. Proper management of big data and constructing datasets for appropriate analytics and analysis is needed. Participate in variable selection and regularization techniques; develop machine learning algorithms for continual improvements; identify and quantify the predictive nature of new data elements and their potential use in underwriting selection criteria, rating factors and other models. Prepare summary reports of findings for discussion and/or presentations to clients and for inclusion in white paper.
- Knowledge and understanding of statistical theory and machine learning techniques, including generalized linear models, decision trees, AI and clustering
- 5+ years of relevant statistical modeling and data mining work experience.
- Programming skills and expertise in R and SQL. Ability to use advanced
techniques to handle big data with structured and unstructured data.
- Project Management skills in order to meet deliverables.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with professionals from
other disciplines who may be geographically dispersed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Predictive Analytic certification.
- Experience in consulting/insurance industry.
- Ability to travel 1x month to our Richmond, VA office
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or similar type
Job Type: Full-time